PREVIOUS EVENT: GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™: Most People Doing A Handstand!!!
Join LYT™ Yoga creator, Lara Heimann, PT to break the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ for the most people doing a handstand at Summer Streets 2019!
About this Event
Join international yoga pioneer and Physical Therapist, Lara Heimann, on August 3rd at Summer Streets 2019, right at the Foley Square Rest Stop, to attempt to break the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ title of 399 people executing a handstand. Let’s smash it and then celebrate in the open public streets of the most iconic city in the world!
The theme of this year’s Summer Streets is FREEDOM. And what better way to celebrate freedom than through the body? Doing a handstand expands what we think we are capable of on our mats which in turn expands what we believe we can do in our lives. It is the ultimate expression of freedom.
The definition of a handstand is weight-shifting onto the hands so both feet leave the ground. You can do it!
Pre-registration is recommended but not required. The first 400 guests to check-in that day on-site at Foley Square (entrance to queue line on the east sidewalk of Lafayette Street at Worth Street) will receive a commemorative gift. Participants must bring proof of registration either as a printed hardcopy of the registration confirmation or by presenting the registration confirmation electronically on one’s phone or other electronic device. Participants are encouraged to only bring small bags and limited personal belongings to ensure a quick and efficient check-in process. All bags will be searched by security personnel on-site.
On-site registration begins at 7 AM and runs until 7:45 AM. All Participants must enter the queue line by 7:15 AM to secure a spot. Lara will host a brief LYT™ yoga class starting at 8:00 AM as a warm-up, and then, together, all participants will attempt to break the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ title around 8:45 AM. The party starts at 9:15 AM once Lara and and the yoga participants succeed at completing the attempt! The activation ends at 10:00 AM but participants are welcome to visit and enjoy a host of other activities adjacent to this activation.
ABOUT LARA HEIMANN
Lara Heimann is focused on evolving the practice of yoga to empower movement and balance amidst a modern lifestyle of technology and sedentariness. With an advanced degree in physical therapy and more than 25 years of yoga practice and education, Lara is redefining the modern practice through her comprehensive LYT™ (Lara’s Yoga Training) Method, emphasizing smart alignment, functional movement, and spiritual wellness. Sustainable, freeing and efficient, LYT™ champions smarter, safer and more conscious movement patterns and is practiced worldwide.
ABOUT SUMMER STREETS
Summer Streets is an annual celebration of New York City’s most valuable public space—our streets. On three consecutive Saturdays in August, nearly seven miles of NYC’s streets are opened for people to play, run, walk and bike. Summer Streets provides space for healthy recreation and encourages New Yorkers to use more sustainable forms of transportation. In 2018, nearly 300,000 people took advantage of the open streets.
7:00AM Check in
7:45AM Check in ends
8:00AM LYT Yoga class with Lara
8:45AM – 9:15AM GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ challenge
rules for yoga stunt participants
- All Participants must sign an activities and photo waiver prior to engaging in the stunt.
- All Participants must be at least 13 years of age. Individuals under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent/guardian willing and able to perform a handstand.
- Children, under 13 years of old and without parental consent, and pets are not permitted within the activation space
- All Participants are encouraged to wear appropriate attire, such as yoga or other types of fitness clothing, and should bring reusable water bottle that can be filled prior to entering the activation space at the DEP Water on the Go fountain positioned on the west side of Lafayette Street, directly across from the activation space.
- All participants MUST bring their own yoga mat. Mats will not be supplied during the event
- No running, pushing or moshing is permitted on the queue line or within the activation space before, during or after the stunt.
- No person under the influence of alcohol or exhibiting erratic behavior shall be permitted into the activation space or participate in the stunt.
- Children and pets are not permitted within the activation space.
- No glass permitted within the activation space.
- All bags will be searched by security personnel on-site prior to entering the space. Small bags are recommended as on-site storage is unavailable to Participants.
- Follow the instructions of the instructor, Lara, as well as on-site staff.